Azure, three wheels and on a chief argent, a dragon statant azure.
Eldred is currently Triton Principal Herald of Atlantia. He is also a Companion of the Order of the Pelican, and a Companion of the Order of the Laurel (primarily for calligraphy & illumination). His introduction to the SCA was at a few events in the mid-1980's in the Barony Marche of the Debateable Lands where his interest in archery was sparked. In the early 1990's, he began attending events in Atlantia and additional arts and skills began to draw his attention--specifically: calligraphy, illumination, and brewing. Calligraphy and Illumination led to heraldry. Heraldry led to architecture and stained glass. Architecture led to an interest in period furniture and woodworking. Woodworking led to game boards and thus, to games and numismatics. In short, every dive into a particular art turns into a sideways exploration into other arts.
Eldred Ælfwald is a 12th century itinerant scribe living near Chester on the Welsh border.
Offices & Positions
|Triton Principal Herald||Atlantia||Jan 2019||Jan 2022|
|Azure Dragon Herald||At-Large||May 2008|
|Chancellor||University of Atlantia||Jan 2006||Jun 2009|
|Web Minister||Clerk Signet, Atlantia||Jan 2006||Jan 2009|
|Clerk Signet (Great Officer)||Atlantia||Jan 2003||Jan 2006|
|Target Archery Marshal||Atlantia||Jan 2003||Dec 2013|
|Minister of Arts & Sciences||Falconcree||Nov 2002||Nov 2003|
|Editor, Scribes Handbook||Clerk Signet, Atlantia||Jan 2002||Dec 2010|
|Herald||At-Large, Atlantia||Apr 2001||Jan 2008|
|Seneshcal||Falconcree||Nov 2000||Oct 2002|
|Web Minister||Clerk Signet, Atlantia||Oct 2000||Apr 2001|
|Deputy Chronicler||Nottinghill Coill||Jun 2000||Jun 2001|
|Web Minister||Falconcree||Mar 2000||Nov 2000|
|Head of Scriptorium||Barony of Nottinghill Coill||???||???|
|Commenting Herald||Atlantia||Mar 1998||Mar 2000|
|Gordian Knot Herald||Nottinghill Coill||Dec 1997||Apr 2001|
|Deputy Minister of Arts & Sciences||Falconcree||Aug 1997||Nov 2000|
|Deputy Seneschal||Falconcree||Aug 1997||Feb 2000|
|Commenting herald||Middle||Feb 1997||Jun 1998|
|Gordian Knot Pursuivant||Nottinghill Coill||Nov 1996||Dec 1997|
|Branch herald||Cyddlain Downs||Nov 1996||Jul 1997|
|Branch herald||Nottinghill Coill||May 1994||Nov 1996|
|Branch herald||Falconcree||Nov 1992||Oct 1994|
|Mistress Bríg ingen Érennaigh||Apprentice||Elevated to the Order of the Laurel in 2011|
Elevated to the Order of the Pelican in 2019
|Master Lucien de la Rochelle||Apprentice||Elevated to the Order of the Pelican in 2018|
- Atlantian Heralds Handbook, 3rd edition. Currently in review.
Things to Peruse
- Ealdercote Home of Eldred AElfwald and Ealdthryth of Humberstone
PublicationsClick to expand/collapse
- Editor, Atlantian Heralds' Handbook, 3rd Edition, Kingdom of Atlantia, Society for Creative Anachronism, 2019-.
- Editor, Atlantian Scribes Handbook, Kingdom of Atlantia, Society for Creative Anachronism. 2004-2010.
- Annotated Bibliography of Scribal Resources. Proceedings of the Known World Heralds & Scribes Symposium, Society for Creative Anachronism. 2004
- Canting. Proceedings of the Known World Heralds & Scribes Symposium, Society for Creative Anachronism. 2004
- Introduction to Scroll Layout & Design. Proceedings of the Known World Heralds & Scribes Symposium, Society for Creative Anachronism. 2002
- Animal Blazonry. Proceedings of the Known World Herald’s & Scribes Symposium. Society for Creative Anachronism. 2001.
- Notre Dame de Paris. The Nottinghill Quill—Newsletter for the Barony of Nottinghill Coill, Society for Creative Anachronism.
- Sainte-Chapelle. The Nottinghill Quill—Newsletter for the Barony of Nottinghill Coill, Society for Creative Anachronism.
- St-Denis. The Nottinghill Quill—Newsletter for the Barony of Nottinghill Coill, Society for Creative Anachronism.
- The Troubled Reign of King Stephen (3 part series), The Nottinghill Quill—Newsletter for the Barony of Nottinghill Coill, Society for Creative Anachronism.
I have taught a variety of classes and workshops over the years. I'm not sure these are all of them... Some have links to the notes or articles I have online. Click the relevant section header to expand or collapse the list.
- A Herald's Guide to Surviving Court © 1998
- Introduction to Heraldry
- Animal Blazonry © 1998 Needs updating to match SENA
- Heraldry for Children
- Basic Blazonry © 1998
- Beginning Names
- Heraldry for Non-heraldic Cultures
- Heraldry in History
- So, You Want to be a Herald?
- The Heraldic Submissions Process
- Armorial Display
- Basic Conflict Checking
- Atlantian Order of Precedence
- Heraldic Roundtable
- A Survey of Illuminations from Durham Cathedral
- Introduction to Making Scrolls
- Scribal Roundtable
- English Court Hands
- Illuminations for the Artistically Challenged
- Matching Hand to Illumination
- Introduction to Scroll Layout and Design © 2001
- Blazonry for Scribes
- Introduction to Calligraphy
- Medieval Architecture: The Rose Window © 2002
- Capital Idea: Romanesque Architecture in France
- Woodworking: Board Games
- Woodworking: Cheap Campaign Furniture
- Woodworking: Plain Benches
- Woodworking: Breakdown Chairs
- Woodworking: Curule/Coffered Chairs
- The Troubled Reign of King Stephen © 1999
- Introduction to Cordials
- How to Write Documentation
|12/11/1993||Falconcree||TOYS FOR TOTS TOURNAMENT||4-weapons form tournament to raise toys for the USMC Toys for Tots program|
|08/28/1995||Falconcree||PENNSIC PAUPER'S POTLUCK|
|12/14/1996||Falconcree||TOYS FOR TOTS TOURNAMENT||4-weapons form tournament to raise toys for the USMC Toys for Tots program|
|04/10/1999||Falconcree||PASSAGE TO THE EAST I: THE ENGLISH ANARCHY||The first in a series of events chronicling the travels of pilgrims through different lands. Their first stop: England of the 1130's during the time of Stephen and Matilda. Town and castle battles were a big feature of this event|
|03/01/2003||Atlantia||KINGDOM ARTS & SCIENCES FESTIVAL||Implementing the vision of Master James of Middle Aston. The current format of KASF was started at this event|