Sigrid Mondegreen 2019
No Registered Arms Yet
Lady Sigrid Mondegreen
Lady Sigrid Mondegreen has been active in the SCA since she was 3 years old, almost 20 years now. At an early age, she participated in A&S competitions and won a ribbon at the NC State Fair for her plate of SCA Fine Cakes. Sigrid began volunteering in the kitchen at 10. She won her first Kingdom A&S award in 2008.
Sigrid arguably won the first War of the Wings for the Barony of Windmasters' Hill! The score was tied until they remembered to count the youth A&S point, which she and her siblings had won.
Interests in the Society: Improv comedy with the i Firenzi troupe, English country dance, and cooking with her friends and family.
At Kingdom 12th Night 2019, after serving as head chef for a 200-seat feast, Sigrid received her Award of Arms. This was not just an honor, it was the punchline to a joke that she set up nearly a decade before. Her byname, Mondegreen, is the term for any misheard lyric. It comes from a Scottish Child Ballad (#181), "The Bonnie Earl O' Moray", which ends:
- They have slain the Earl o' Moray
- And layd him on the green.
As Wikipedia explains it:
- The American writer Sylvia Wright coined the term "mondegreen" in an essay "The Death of Lady Mondegreen," which was published in Harper's Magazine in November 1954. In the essay, Wright described how, as a young girl, she misheard the final two lines of the above verse as "they have slain the Earl o' Moray, and Lady Mondegreen." She said that she always imagined the Earl dying beside his faithful lover "Lady Mondegreen", and refused to hear the real words, because they were less romantic than her misheard version. The term "mondegreen" has since been adopted for any misheard song lyric which changes the meaning of the original.
Sigrid became, at long last, the Lady Mondegreen.
Now to explain it to the heralds.
Sigrid was awarded arms at Atlantian 12th Night 2019, but hasn't yet registered a device.
Awards and Achievements
Award of the Alcyon, Kingdom of Atlantia (Logan V and Rowan I) - Ymir - 2/9/2008
Companion of the St. Nicholas, Barony of Windmasters' Hill (Gaston and Rosalind) - Pas du Forêt Mystérieux - 6/14/2008
Honorary Citizen of Windmasters' Hill, Barony of Windmasters' Hill (Girard and Guenievre) - Academie of the Rapier - 5/9/2009
Award of the Eurus, Barony of Windmasters' Hill (Callistus and Adriana) - Buckston's Big Beautiful Boombastic Bucolic Birthday Battle Balooza and Bodacious Bevy-o-Bardic - 11/15/2014
Award of the Silver Nautilus (Atlantia) (Michael X and Seonaid VIII) - Kingdom Arts and Sciences Festival - 3/7/2015
Award of the Notus, Barony of Windmasters' Hill (Callistus and Adriana) - Buckston Birthday Bash - 11/14/2015
Award of the Eurus, Barony of Windmasters' Hill (Daemon and Typhaine) - Buckston Birthday Bash - 11/18/2017
Award of Arms, Kingdom of Atlantia (Ragnarr V and Lynette II) - 12th Night: A 1001 Atlantian Nights - 1/12/2019
Augmentation of Arms (a commedia mask proper), Kingdom of Atlantia (Christoph II and Adelhait II) - Journey Through the Nine Realms - 6/8/2019
Classes Taught in the Society
- Playing with Playford: English Country Dance in the SCA (Windmasters’ Hill Cooks & Performers Symposium 2015)
- “Do You Wanna Dance?”: Dances for Demos (Windmasters’ Hill Cooks & Performers Symposium 2015)
- Helped teach a 10-week after-school enrichment program through the Citizen Schools organization. Used SCA crafts to teach high-tech skills to underprivileged middle-schoolers. Participated in a Baronial demo for the kids afterward.
- Heretic! (Gulf Wars 2017, assisting)
- Too many beginning dance classes to count, at demos, local events, and a neighborhood school
Maison du Poulet Noir - Founding member 2017
Offices Held in the Society
14-Nov-2015 Buckston’s Birthday
12-Jan-2019 Atlantian Kingdom 12th Night
Security guard - Atlantian 12th Night 2018
Security guard - Ymir 2018
Viola in 12th Night - Ymir 2018