Lanea inghean Uí Chiaragáin
Lanea uses she/her pronouns.
Lanea is an tribal leader from a prominent family on Ynys Mon with a longstanding enmity for imperial power and a loud voice.
Except when Lanea is a musician in a Hallstatt era court with a loom, a longstanding enmity for imperial power, and a loud voice.
Except when Llynea is a 6th C. Brythonic poet and musician with a longstanding enmity for Saxon power and a loud voice.
Except when Linnea is a Finno-Ugric musician with a longstanding enmity for Swedish power and a loud voice.
Except when a strangely familiar woman of the Iazyges named Amynomene is discussing mounted archery and flanking tactics while demonstrating her longstanding enmity for imperial powers.
Lanea was born in Ciarraighe in Connacht, the westernmost province of Ireland. She gives no exact birth date, but explains that she was born months after the grasping tyrant Caesar exsanguinated in his reeking capitol. Her people gained wealth as gold merchants and jewelers, which brought them to prominence and allowed them to indulge in eccentricities that were otherwise uncommon in their remote village. Her mother, Máire, is a woman of renowned intelligence and wit who particularly loved listening to stories around the hearth as a child, learning as much as she could from travelers and traders who visited the village her family led. In time, Máire became a midwife, and then a mother herself. Her mate was killed in a trade dispute with a neighboring tribe, and Máire relied on her work and her share of the family fortune to support her children. Máire chose a second partner when Lanea was near the end of her childhood, doubling the number of children in their joined family. Lanea was one of only two girls in the rowdy pack of siblings of mixed parentage. Both girls insisted on engaging in martial training, and Lanea developed her spear, chariot, and command skills alongside her brothers.
Despite the family's wealth, Máire demanded that all of the children in the family engage in meaningful work in the village. Lanea helped tend the gardens, milk, brew, cook, spin, weave, embroider, and sew. She also delighted in following and then attempting to steer local political decisions when councils met within reach. Her rebellious nature occasionally put her at odds with leaders and commanders from other tribes, but Lanea's hospitality, generous gifts to visitors, and family connections shielded her from any lasting oppoprobrium.
Like her mother, Lanea was fascinated by the storytelling and songs that called the family and their frequent guests together in the evening. She showed an early interest in poetry and music composition, and because she displayed great talent in memorization, her family supported her desire to train as a bard. Such training would require travel, and in her early teens, Lanea convinced her family to allow her to travel Eastward with her eldest brothers on a trade journey to the continent. They rode across Eire and sailed to Ynys Mon, a strange island full of scholars and druids. She convinced her brothers to allow her to linger long enough to begin learning the Brythonic tongue the scholars spoke and to form some relationships among Ordovices. She met with a number of poets there who agreed to assist in her training on her return from the continent. The Carrigains set out again across Britain and across the channel to Gaul, Lanea learning songs and stories and composing new ones along the journey. The closer they came to "civilization," the more poverty and destruction they saw among peoples speaking tongues similar to their own. Day upon day, Lanea's hatred of the tyrants wreaking such destruction on the people and the land grew.
Lanea currently lives on Ynys Mon, a small island off the the Northwest coast of Wales.
Offices & Positions
- King's Bard (1/12/2019 - 1/18/2020)
Scroll Texts and Elevations
- Cailleach’s Laurel Ceremony: For Mistress Cailleach’s elevation to the Order of the Laurel in Meridies. The Ceremony took place at Gulf Wars in 2013.
- Madach’s Laurel Text: For Sir Madach’s elevation to the Order of the Laurel in Meridies.
- Seth’s Laurel Text: For Sir Seth’s elevation to the Order of the Laurel in Meridies.
- Iofa’s Laurel Ceremony: For Mistress Iofa’s elevation to the Order of the Laurel in Merdies. The Ceremony was originally scheduled to take place at Gulf Wars in 2016 but was rescheduled for Meridian Spring Coronation in 2016.
- Barthelemy and Oda’s Coronation Ceremony: For Meridies’ Coronation, October 2016.
- Konrad and Aibhilin’s Coronation Ceremony: For Northshield’s Coronation, April 2017.
- Gideon ap Stephen’s Pearl Scroll
Scroll texts, elevations, and introductions available at Crazylanea.com
Vert, on a pall between three crosses of Saint Brigid Or an eagle sable.
Awards and Achievements
- Companion of the Coral Branch, Atantia (10/4/2014)
- Court Baroness, Meridies, bestowed by Barthelemey of Illyria and Oda Austrasia (3/14/2017)
- Companion of the Pearl, Atlantia (3/16/2017)
- Companion of the Laurel, Atlantia (3/13/ 2019)
- Companion of the Order of the Lark (Atlantia) (Highland Foorde) (6/1/2019)
- Fundamentals of Bardic Performance: Atlantia University, Caer Mear (Mineral, VA): February 2, 2019
- The Academic Bard: Atlantia University, Caer Mear (Mineral, VA): February 2, 2019
- Early Period Bardic Solar: Gulf Wars, Early Period Life (Lumberton, MS): March 2018
- Hats of the Ancient World: Gulf Wars, Early Period Life (Lumberton, MS): March 2018
- Early Period Embroidery: Atlantia University, Caer Mear: September 2017
- Choosing modern commercial fabric for early period costuming: Atlantia University, Dun Caraig: September 2016
- Construction and embellishment techniques for Early Period Garb: Gulf Wars, Early Period Life (Lumberton, MS): March 2018
- How to Plan and Run a Period Encampment: Gulf Wars, Early Period Life (Lumberton, MS): March 2015
- Making and using early period sewing and fiber arts kits: Gulf Wars, Early Period Life (Lumberton, MS): 2016
Class packets and descriptions available at Crazylanea.com
Households and Affiliations
- Teach Folcadáin Bó Caitlin
- Clanne Preachain
- Na Casan mBan
In Case of Court
Lanea is relatively shameless and has no fear of public speaking or performance but she gets seriously freaked out by cameras. If something very important is going to happen and photography is likely, please consult her close friends about how to avoid triggering a panic attack.