Ginevra Fiammetta di Silvestri
Ginevra Fiammetta di Silvestri
Baronessa Ginevra Fiammetta di Silvestri (jin - EV - ruh fee - uh - MET - uh dee seel - VESS - tree) has been a member of the populace of the Kingdom of Atlantia since January of A.S. XLIX (Anno Societatis 49 or 2015 C.E.). She currently lives in the wonderful Barony of Caer Mear. She enjoys trying as many arts and sciences activities as she can, but has particular interest in sewing, the bardic arts, and the study of historical sexuality.
Ginevra is a cisgender woman and uses she/her/hers pronouns, both modernly and in persona. She is currently serving as her barony’s Chancellor of Youth as well as a deputy book herald. She is also a principal member of the Knowne World Courtesans, a free confederation of people dedicated to promoting courtesan/sex worker personas in the SCA, and of L'abbaye des abeilles, the Atlantian Courtesan Guild.
Ginevra’s persona is a female courtesan (she/her/hers pronouns) living in Venice during the 16th century. Her story is still being written and is subject to change, but is currently as follows:
“I was born in a smallish but prosperous city near Venice early in the 16th century. My father was a middle class merchant and my mother was the uneducated but intelligent daughter of an educated immigrant who fled Spain in 1492. Their marriage was a love match. I have two older sisters and a younger brother. My eldest sister married a man set to inherit his father’s business. The middle sister entered a convent. My brother is the baby of the family, but despite the indulgences of our parents he is sweet-tempered and generous. He is still a bachelor, and has never shown any interest in women.
As a child, I was close with my maternal grandfather, who doted on me. He taught me to read and write, to speak Spanish and Arabic, and everything he knew from his time in Spain. He died when I was thirteen. When I was old enough, I found work as a lady’s maid to the spoiled only daughter of a kind, wealthy widower. He was very passionate about education, and paid for tutoring for his daughter as well as her younger brother, whose birth (after several miscarriages) resulted in their mother’s death. The daughter had no interest in her lessons, often complaining and doing the bare minimum she could get away with, but her brother was bright, and by observing their lessons I learned a great deal. At night, I would sneak into their library to read. I can’t be certain, but I think their father knew this and tacitly approved.
Upon the death of their father, the daughter dismissed me. Using my knowledge of and easy access to the house, I robbed her of several valuables and a great deal of her money. Knowing that I might be caught, and that my options in life would be limited, if I stayed, I fled the city. I began to travel away from the city, and stopped at an inn for the night. There I met a courtesan who was passing through the area. She invited me to dine with her, and we bonded over a shared love of literature and intellectual pursuits. She invited me to accompany her on her trip.
I did so, and ended up returning with her to her home in Venice, where she instructed me in how to be a successful courtesan. She took me to visit libraries, and some of her patrons were friendly and taught me other things, like languages. I changed my name to Ginevra (I was born under a different name). When I was finally ready, I set myself up in a small but lavish home in a fashionable neighborhood nearby and began to take patrons.”
Note: Planning to be changed, currently drafting a new device
- Per pale azure and vert, in saltire an arrow inverted and a needle inverted and on a chief argent three closed books palewise sable.
Joint owner (with Mistress Magdalena la Sanguigni) of the Knowne World Courtesans badge:
- Gules, a hart trippant and a bordure Or.
In Case of Court
- Please contact my partner, Lord Vytautas Vilkas, as he will want to be there!
Offices and Positions
- Warranted Target Archery Marshal, Kingdom of Atlantia, October 2015 to present
- Deputy Book Herald, Barony of Caer Mear, October 2015 to present
- Chancellor of Youth, Barony of Caer Mear, April 2016 to June 2020
- Youth Activities Coordinator, Ruby Joust (Caer Mear) - May 2016
- Belle, Pennsic Known World Children's Fete - August 2016
- Youth Activities Coordinator, Fall Fiber, Foliage, Forging, and Fermentation (Caer Mear) - September 2016
- Youth Activities Coordinator, Yule (Caer Mear) - December 2016
- Youth Activities Coordinator, Ruby Joust (Caer Mear) - May 2017
- Autocrat, Midsummer Faire (Caer Mear) - June 2017
- Co-organizer, Knowne World Courtesans Bacchanal - Pennsic XLVI - August 2017
- Belle, Pennsic Known World Children's Fete - August 2017
- Co-organizer, Soiree of the Seven Deadly Sins - War of the Wings - October 2017
- Co-organizer, Knowne World Courtesans Salon - 12th Night - January 2018
- Youth Activities Coordinator, Ruby Joust (Caer Mear) - May 2018
- Co-organizer, Knowne World Courtesans Bacchanal - Pennsic XLVII - August 2018
- Belle, Pennsic Known World Children's Fete - August 2018
- Youth Activities Coordinator, Yule (Caer Mear) - December 2018
- Youth Activities Coordinator, Ruby Joust (Caer Mear) - May 2019
- Co-organizer, Knowne World Courtesans Bacchanal - Pennsic XLVIII - August 2019
- Belle, Pennsic Known World Children's Fete - August 2019
- Youth Activities Coordinator, Rip Rap War III: Guts, Gold, Glory - September 2019
Projects and Publications
- Website coming soon
- “Easy Fingerloop Braids” (Barony of Caer Mear) - October 27, 2015
- “The Bycocket, or "Robin Hood" Hat” (Ruby Joust) - May 29, 2016 - CANCELLED
- (Barony of Caer Mear) - June 21, 2016
- “Courtesan Persona 101” (University of Atlantia) - February 3, 2018
- (Ruby Joust) - May 26, 2018
- (Pennsic) - August 4, 2018
- (Pennsic) - August 8, 2018
- (University of Atlantia) - February 2, 2019
- (Pennsic) - August 3, 2019 - CANCELLED
- (Pennsic) - August 6, 2019
- “SCA on a Budget” (Barony of Caer Mear) - February 27, 2018
- “So You Wanna Attend an SCA Event: A Primer on Courtesy” (Barony of Caer Mear) - July 3, 2018
- “SCA Underdress Basics” (Barony of Caer Mear) - October 16, 2018
- “Quick n Dirty Roman Garb” co-taught with Baroness Eadyth Woderose (Barony of Caer Mear) - June 18, 2019
Awards and Achievements
- Award of Arms (Atlantia) - Ruby Joust - May 28, 2016
- Baron's Award of Excellence (Atlantia) (Caer Mear) - Fiber, Foliage, Forging, and Fermentation - September 10, 2016
- Companion of the Portcullis (Atlantia) (Caer Mear) - Ruby Joust - May 27, 2017
- Augmentation of Arms (Atlantia) (Golden Scissors) - Ruby Joust - May 27, 2017
- Grant of Arms (Atlantia) - Ruby Joust - May 27, 2017
- Court Baroness (Atlantia) - Ruby Joust - May 27, 2017
- Companion of the Pharos (Atlantia) (Caer Mear) - Ruby Joust - May 27, 2017
- Companion of La Bris de Mer (Atlantia) (Caer Mear) - Winter University - February 2, 2019
- Companion of the Opal (Atlantia) - Rip Rap War - September 14, 2019
- Baronial Archery Champion, Barony of Caer Mear, May 2016 to May 2017