Azure, three wheels and on a chief argent, a dragon statant azure.
Eldred is currently Triton Principal Herald of Atlantia. He is also a Companion of the Order of the Pelican, and a Companion of the Order of the Laurel (primarily for calligraphy & illumination). His introduction to the SCA was at a few events in the mid-1980's in the Barony Marche of the Debateable Lands where his interest in archery was sparked. In the early 1990's, he began attending events in Atlantia and additional arts and skills began to draw his attention--specifically: calligraphy, illumination, and brewing. Calligraphy and Illumination led to heraldry. Heraldry led to architecture and stained glass. Architecture led to an interest in period furniture and woodworking. Woodworking led to game boards and thus, to games and numismatics. In short, every dive into a particular art turns into a sideways exploration into other arts.
Eldred Ælfwald is a 12th century itinerant scribe living near Chester on the Welsh border.
Offices & Positions
|Triton Principal Herald||Atlantia||Jan 2019|
|Azure Dragon Herald||At-Large||May 2008|
|Chancellor||University of Atlantia||Retired 2009|
|Clerk Signet||Kingdom of Atlantia||Retired 2006|
|Web Minister||Clerk Signet, Atlantia||Retired 2009|
|Editor, Scribes Handbook||Clerk Signet, Atlantia||Retired 2010|
|Head of Scriptorium||Barony of Nottinghill Coill||2004|
|Archery Marshal||At-Large||Expired 2011|
|Gordian Knot Herald||Barony of Nottinghill Coill||Retired 2001|
|Herald||Canton of Cyddlain Downs||Retired 1997|
|Herald||Canton of Falconcree||Retired 1994|
|Seneschal||Canton of Falconcree||Retired 2002|
|Deputy Chronicler||Barony of Nottinghill Coill||Retired 2001|
|Minister of Arts & Sciences||Canton of Falconcree||Retired 2003|
|Acting Exchequer||Canton of Falconcree||2001|
Things to Peruse
- Ealdercote Home of Eldred AElfwald and Ealdthryth of Humberstone
- Editor, Atlantian Heralds' Handbook, 3rd Edition, Kingdom of Atlantia, Society for Creative Anachronism, 2019-.
- Editor, Atlantian Scribes Handbook, Kingdom of Atlantia, Society for Creative Anachronism. 2004-2010.
- Annotated Bibliography of Scribal Resources. Proceedings of the Known World Heralds & Scribes Symposium, Society for Creative Anachronism. 2004
- Canting. Proceedings of the Known World Heralds & Scribes Symposium, Society for Creative Anachronism. 2004
- Introduction to Scroll Layout & Design. Proceedings of the Known World Heralds & Scribes Symposium, Society for Creative Anachronism. 2002
- Animal Blazonry. Proceedings of the Known World Herald’s & Scribes Symposium. Society for Creative Anachronism. 2001.
- Notre Dame de Paris. The Nottinghill Quill—Newsletter for the Barony of Nottinghill Coill, Society for Creative Anachronism.
- Sainte-Chapelle. The Nottinghill Quill—Newsletter for the Barony of Nottinghill Coill, Society for Creative Anachronism.
- St-Denis. The Nottinghill Quill—Newsletter for the Barony of Nottinghill Coill, Society for Creative Anachronism.
- The Troubled Reign of King Stephen (3 part series), The Nottinghill Quill—Newsletter for the Barony of Nottinghill Coill, Society for Creative Anachronism.
I have taught a variety of classes and workshops over the years. I'm not sure these are all of them...
- Surviving Court
- Introduction to Heraldry
- Animal Blazonry
- Heraldry for Children
- Beginning Names
- Heraldry for Non-heraldic Cultures
- Heraldry in History
- So, You Want to be a Herald?
- The Heraldic Submissions Process
- Armorial Display
- Basic Conflict Checking
- Atlantian Order of Precedence
- Heraldic Roundtable
- A Survey of Illuminations from Durham Cathedral
- Introduction to Making Scrolls
- Scribal Roundtable
- English Court Hands
- Illuminations for the Artistically Challenged
- Matching Hand to Illumination
- Introduction to Scroll Layout and Design
- Blazonry for Scribes
- Introduction to Calligraphy
- Rose Window
- Capital Idea: Romanesque Architecture in France
- Woodworking: Board Games
- Woodworking: Cheap Campaign Furniture
- Woodworking: Plain Benches
- Woodworking: Breakdown Chairs
- Woodworking: Curule/Coffered Chairs
- The Troubled Reign of King Stephen
- Introduction to Cordials
- How to Write Documentation