Diego de Oviedo
Baron Diego de Oviedo
Introduction - Mundanely
Diego joined the SCA in 1981. While serving overseas, the Kingdom of Drachenwald was just a principality then and a grand experience for me. In total, I spent 10 years in Drachenwald and I had the privilege of attending the first crown tourney won by Elffin O'Mona.
While it was a great adventure, professional commitments didn't allow for much in the way of attendance, much less service. I held a smattering of offices, unofficially, but didnt have much opportunity otherwise. Likewise, that's mostly what can be said for my opportunities as a fighter. I had a great teacher in the form of His Excellency, Sir Kenneth MacQuarrie. He can be seen in this next picture preparing to serve me a final lesson. I seemed to learn best when my legs received a "flesh wound"
I had several more opportunities to strut my stuff in 80 pounds of armor and stifling Scottish heat (no, really. Scotland can get hot). After charging the Portcullis a number of times and being thrown back at a castle ruin where we were having the event, I needed to sit. As I recall, I had a hard time getting back up and finally went back to my tent to strip off the sweaty steal and fell fast asleep.
Diego Diaz de Oviedo is the fourth son of Diego Alonso Ramirez, a prosperous merchant in 16th century Spain, region of Asturias. Upon the death of his father, Diego Diaz inherited a small interest in the merchant shipping firm left by his father to his six sons. With the lions share of company control going to Alvaro, the first child, Diego was forced to seek other means of employment and adventure.
As a constable of the city guard, life was boisterous and exciting in Oviedo but it lacked the access to the sea and the rest of the world. Returning to Gijon, where Diego's father had previously established his small fleet, he took a captaincy from his brother and plied the family trade up and down the Iberian coast. From port to port, this was the excitement Diego craved and what led to his greater wealth, experience and not a little love for most things Moorish.
Per chevron gules and sable, on a chevron between three lymphads sails set and oars in action Or, three anchors sable
Offices & Positions
- Deputy Web Minister (Wiki Admin), Kingdom of Atlantia
- Social Media Officer (SMO), Barony of Ponte Alto, Kingdom of Atlantia
- Head Retainer, Barony of Ponte Alto, Kingdom of Atlantia
- Deputy Chronicler, Knights Crossing, Kingdom of Drachenwald
- Deputy Chatelaine, Knights Crossing, Kingdom of Drachenwald
- Head Retainer, Knights Crossing, Kingdom of Drachenwald
Projects & Publications
- Atlantia Wiki
- Barony social media presence
Awards & Achievements
- 4/6/2019 Award of Arms (Atlantia)
- 4/6/2019 Grant of Arms (Atlantia)
- 9/7/2019 Award of the Undine (Atlantia)
- 9/7/2019 Court Baronage (Atlantia)
- 4/4/2020 Award of the Undine (Atlantia)
- 10/10/2020 Award of the Fountain (Atlantia)